struts-user mailing list archives

From Mark Lowe <mark.l...@talk21.com>
Subject Re: Newbie: java.lang.boolean and DynaActionForm?
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:11:40 GMT
Hi Ed

I've checked my spellings this time.

On 17 Dec 2003, at 15:49, Ed Dowgiallo wrote:

> Mark,
>
>     Perhaps I am getting old, but the meaning of your metaphors went
> over my
> head.  On the other hand, this is an international audience.
>
>     What is a chocolate fire guard?

A fire guard is like a shield one places in front of a fire to prevent
any bits of hot ash escaping and setting one's house on fire. These are
usually made of metal as it is fire proof. A fireguard made of
chocolate wouldn't be much use, as it would melt and not protect one's
house from the peril of smoldering ash.

>     Do you believe it is harder or easier to use DynaActionForms
> instead of
> Strings?

A few months ago it was certainly the case that using strings when
using dynaaction forms was the only sure way of getting stuff running.
But robert sounds like he's been using objects in there and sounds good
to me, I think that beanutils has problems with BigDecimal and perhaps
other objects but I dont remeber the details. I haven't used dynaforms
in a while because i dont like the way you have to wait until runtime
to see whether there's a problem.

>     Is taking the piss a bit a good thing or a bad thing?

Its another why of saying, "taking the mickey" , or "making fun of
something".. It used to be the case in victorian times in england that
urine would fetch enough money for a decent meal. As urine was used for
cosmetic and medical purposes by the affluent classes, urine would be
exchanged by poorer folks for a financial reward. Thus the phrase was
born "taking the piss" its also where "spending a penny" came from.

Cheers Mark