struts-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Rabe <dr...@opentext.com>
Subject RE: What is wrong with this upload filename (UTF-8) decoding?
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:54:09 GMT
I see a similar problem with file upload. It doesn't look like
org.apache.strugs.upload.FormFile exposes a setHeaderEncoding method...

Daniel Rabe

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Lea [mailto:jason@kumachan.net.nz]
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 1:33 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: What is wrong with this upload filename (UTF-8) decoding?

I have not used the file upload yet, but I believe you need to set the
encoding for the headers

formFile.setHeaderEncoding("UTF-8")

setHeaderEncoding does this:
"Specifies the character encoding to be used when reading the headers of
individual parts. When not specified, or |null|, the platform default
encoding is used."
If this was running on a English operating system it is probably
defaulting to the Latin-1 encoding.

 From this Java Doc:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/fileupload/apidocs/org/apache/commons/file
upload/FileUploadBase.html#setHeaderEncoding(java.lang.String)

Please post back to the forum if this works.  I would be interested in
the result.

Zsolt Koppany wrote:

>Hi,
>
>my application has to support UTF-8 including when files are uploaded
>with UTF-8 characters in the filename (for example:
>??????????????.txt).
>
>I use a servlet filter that always call
>request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") and my jsp pages contain
>response.setContentType("text/html; charset=UTF-8");
>
>Everything works fine except that I have problems with decoding of the
>name of uploaded filenames.
>
>I use the code below to get the name of the uploaded filename:
>
>String nm = formFile.getFileName();
>String filename = new String(nm.getBytes(), "UTF-8");
>
>The code above converts only the first couple of characters correctly
>
>Any ideas how to fix the problem?
>
>I use TC-4.1.29, Struts-1.1, jdk1.4.2_02 Windows-XP.
>
>Zsolt

Jason Lea