struts-user mailing list archives

From Mark Lowe <mark.l...@talk21.com>
Subject Re: Newbie: java.lang.boolean and DynaActionForm?
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:14:45 GMT
DynaActionForms as cool as they are are more trouble than they're worth
unless its a small simple form. For one thing you don't find out what's
wrong until runtime.

I just use strings for dynaaction forms as it works, the problems our
in part caused (i think) by the conversions done by beanutils
(org.apache.commons.beanutils). Validator validates stuff even of type
string.

if/when you use action forms, the typing issues are less of a pain. I
know that its discouraged according to the party line. But then those
aren't the folks paying you are they.

Part of the problem is that action forms are strongly coupled to the
presentation layer, but sometimes its handy to be able to copy the
properties from your model beans to the servlet layer. Often this means
having both groups of beans looking pretty much the same, but some MVC
purists claim this is the devils work as you're not decoupling enough.
While I symathise with this position, its often not pragmatic to go
down this route at an early stage of a project. In fact I've been known
to nest model beans in action forms, and re-factor later to decouple,
while I know this breaks with MVC the folks paying for work don't
really give a toss whether its mvc or not.

I'm not saying break with the world according to these folks who know
better than me, but just that sometimes its important to understand
their focus is different to some of us. While they're laying out road
maps for future technologies, publishing books and suchlike. We're
stuck in an "is and ought" dilemma, between clients/bosses and trying
to craft the best app we can.

So IMO careful what you believe or you might end up trying to find the
holy grail of tech development, while your productivity suffers.

My 2 pence.