struts-user mailing list archives

From Christian Bollmeyer <j...@christianbollmeyer.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4 Compression Filter
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:00:39 GMT
On Wednesday 25 February 2004 15:58, Jerry Jalenak wrote:
> I've also been playing around with this with mixed results.  I've
> been looking for some doc on the filter mainly to better understand
> the 'compressThreshold' setting.  Does anyone have any doc for this
> thing?

IIRC the 4.x filter used to be rather undocumented, but  you can easily
tell what it does by looking at the sources. Two things I may note
is that 1.) compressing anything else than text/html or text/plain
may show unsatisfactory results; some things just don't work at
all when using compression (VCARDs, for example) 2. IIRC there
is a memory leak issue with the GZip packages in some Java
versions, so it's a good idea to do proper load testing before
going live. One option for high-volume sites is to set up a
dedicated 'compression server' which does the job, and that
one doesn't necessarily have to run Java. Generally, compression
can easily speed up page delivery by factor 4 (if the browser
understands GZIP, which IE and recent Mozilla versions do,
at least), but you have to weigh this benefit against the
additional overhead imposed on the server side. BTW,
IMHO the TC 4.x filter's built in compression minimum
threshold of 128K is way too big (with pages being that
big: don't forget the buffer); most pages are smaller,
and the performance boost hooks in at smaller file
sizes as well. 32KB might be a good starting point
for further explorations in this direction.

HTH,
-- Chris.