struts-user mailing list archives

From Carl <multi...@altern.org>
Subject Re: Integrating a menu system with a struts application
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2004 06:47:35 GMT
I am using struts-menu and fill happy with it. I've just take a look at
the xmenu/xplayer you mentionned. It seems that xmenu just display a
menu and depends on DHTM/javascript :-(.

Struts-menu, however manage the menu fonctionnality :
- display the menu
- manager rights on menu items (with role or custom rights mamngement)
- integrate well with struts.
- is fully custumizable (you can subclass/implement PermissionAdapter
and MenuDisplayer)

So if I except the issue of DHTM and javascript of xmenu, I will say
that it depends on your needs. If you just need to display a simple menu
  in a small web app, xmenu seems OK. However if you need to custumize
the display and to display only valid element (according to loogged
user's rights), I would suggest struts-menu.

BTW, you can use xmenu to display struts menu simply by writing your
MenuDisplayer and benefit, in addintion to the L&F of xmenu, the struts
integration and rights managment of struts menu. I will probably do this
for my projects ;-) May be you could suggest to the struts manu
developpers to add such  displayer to struts-menu.

That's just my opinion, I'm currious too to see if there are other
(real) alternative to struts-menu.

Carl