struts-user mailing list archives

From "Glenn, Scott" <Scott.Gl...@umusic.com>
Subject RE: Validation error messages
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:30:15 GMT
Thanks Steve,

That's what I'm doing when I implement my own custom validation routines, but what about the
standard Struts validation rules (which are implemented declaratively), so you don't explicitly
create any ActionError objects??

For example, we might have a validation.xml snippet like:-

		<form name="addRecipientForm">
		  <field property="email" depends="required, email">
			<arg0 key="admin.email.user"/>
		  </field>
		</form>

which checks for a mandatory well formatted mail address. If you enter "abc", Struts generates
an ActionError object containing:-

	"Recipient's email address is an invalid e-mail address"

(providing you have the following resources....

	admin.email.pdf=Recipient's email address
	errors.email={0} is an invalid e-mail address.

)

So I don't specifically create any ActionError objects ..... Is there no way I can declaratively
(ie. in the validation.xml) inform the rule that I'd like the submitted value inserted rather
than a textual string from the AppResources?

Hope that explains the problem a little better....

Cheers,

Scott.