struts-user mailing list archives

From Michael McGrady <m...@michaelmcgrady.com>
Subject Re: Form Submission
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:36:00 GMT
Heh, guys, there is no morality play here.  LOL

The question is just whether or not the use of the session as a repository
makes sense, given the host of problems that arise in that respect, and
given that there are way cool solutions that need to be built without those
problems.

Saving a USER in a session makes all the sense in the world.  Users
necessarily are SESSION related.  That is NOT like saving a FORM, which is
merely PAGE related.  The user is just the sort of thing you should save in
session.  Is anyone saying you should not save a user in session?  Since
the user, unlike a page, or unlike whatever equivalent your use to a page,
is necessarily involved in session scope, that typically would not only be
proper, but best.

Michael

At 07:52 AM 2/18/2004, you wrote:
> [...]
>sometimes use as a way to judge whether or not I should save something as a
>session variable, thus removing the headaches of remembering to reset/remove
>them)..
>
>That said, I have to reiterate that I did not read/understand Avinash's note
>carefully enough, as you seem to have, so your note may well make more sense
>than mine..:)
>
>Hope this will sustain you without the crack..;)
>Geeta
>
>Mark Lowe wrote:
>
> > I said no such thing about javascript.
> >
> > I'm in the httpsession != evil school and I'd say this isn't an
> > occasion where you'd use it as you don't need anything to persist
> > beyond the request (accept this default action thing whatever thats
> > about).
> >
> > The single action class as a type of command dispatcher sounds
> > ingenious. But it has to be using a form property or request parameter
> > otherwise the id in the link wouldn't do what you want. I can see how
> > this has helped make life less complex :o) I assume it extracts a map
> > iterates through is and then selects the relevant 'command' based on
> > the map's contents.
> >
> > You cant submit a form with a link without using javascript. You can
> > use an image as a button, but thats another subject. I have no more
> > suggestions than those I've already made, else I'll start getting urges
> > to go out and score come crack in an attempt to save my teeth from all
> > the brick-chewing.
> >
> > On 18 Feb 2004, at 14:15, Geeta Ramani wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Avinash:
> > >
> > > I have not followed your description very carefully - my eyes started
> > > glazing over about mid-way..;) - but here's a thought (and I'm only
> > > going by what i remember of your original question, so forgive me if I
> > > misspeak..): If you do not have access to the request object, do you at
> > > least have access to the session?  In which case how about putting the
> > > user in a session variable (maybe right after logon) and then you
> > > should
> > > be able to get his/her userId etc etc wherever you want it from..?  I
> > > know there has been **extensive** discussion in this list re. the pros
> > > and cons of using session variables and if you are of the
> > > all-session-vars-are-bad school of thought, this won't do you any good.
> > > But personally,  this seems to be a situation where a session variable
> > > would come in handy..
> >

> > > If however this idea wn't work in your situation, you may want to
> > > discuss with your clients their absolute requirement about wanting a
> > > link vs. a button (I believe you indicated earlier that the latter case
> > > will pose no prblems for you..?)
> >

> > > Good luck!
> > > Geeta

> > >                                               Struts Users Mailing List
> > >   <geeta.ramani@cmpco.com>                 To
> > > <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > >
> > >   02/17/2004 09:57 PM                      cc
> > >           Please respond to           Subject Re: Form Submission

I dont