struts-user mailing list archives

From "Villalba Arias, Fredy [BILBOMATICA]" <fvilla...@mailext.com>
Subject RE: Using the ActionForm in the JSP
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:31:33 GMT
Hi Rahul,

I'm kind of a newbie, but I believe that:

(1) Assuming that the scope you specified for that bean is "request", it's intantiated when
rendering the page (I suppose you mean a "GET") and every time you do a "POST".

(2) You can specify a default value inside your JSP, but - almost sure - also through the
struts-config file (the <initial> attribute on the <property> tag).

Hope I'm not giving you more questions than answers.

Regards,
Freddy.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Rahul Mohan [mailto:rahul_mohan@pune.tcs.co.in]
Enviado el: viernes, 09 de enero de 2004 15:47
Para: struts
Asunto: Using the ActionForm in the JSP

Hi everyone,

    I need to access the ActionForm properties inside the JSP code for the same window. Is
there any way to do this?

Regarding this I have some doubts about the life cycle of ActionForms....

1. When exactly is the ActionForm object instantiated? Is the ActionForm object instantiated
only on submit of the corresponding form? or is it instantiated while rendering the page?

2. Also I need to set some properties to default values at instantiation of the ActionForm.
Can I simply override the ActionForm constructor in my action-form? That doesnt look like
a good strategy since the constructor implementation in the ActionForm does not seem to be
made for overriding as it has some code in it ( its simply servlet = null ).... so is it wise
to simply override it? it seems a bit over smart idea!!! :)

Please help me out......

thank you,
rahul

---