struts-user mailing list archives

From "Kommineni, Sateesh \(GE Consumer & Industrial\)" <sateesh.kommin...@ge.com>
Subject RE: Common Services across Different Actions.
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:04:41 GMT
Hi All,

   Why can't we have this sort of functionality in the Framework itself. A Base class for
a Generic Service and all the Custom Services classes that User wants can extend that Service
and details can be entered in the struts-config.xml .
  Right now i am planning to have another xml for services and when the BaseClass is initialized
all the Services are created and are stored in a map which can be accessed by the Derived
ActionClasses.
  Or we can create each service as a Plug-in (in which case we don't need another XML File)
and store them in a Class which is implements the ServiceLocator pattern and all the Custom
Action Classes can get these Services from that Service Locator.

  Let me know your ideas..

Thanks
Sateesh

-----Original Message-----
From: rick@debays.org [mailto:rick@debays.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 9:24 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Common Services across Different Actions.

I like to use a ServiceLocater (created and initialized at application start)
exposed through the BaseAction.

Rick DeBay

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:50 , Kommineni, Sateesh \(GE Consumer & Industrial\)
<sateesh.kommineni@ge.com> sent:

>Hi All,
>
>   In our Application we have identified few common Services which we are
planning to develop as reusable components.

>   The approaches we identified are
>
>  1) Representing each service as a Plug-in so that we can initialize all the
Service when the Web App is initialized .

>  2) Create a BaseAction and have all the resources available in that Action
class . Sub Class all your Custom Actions from the BaseAction.