struts-user mailing list archives

From Bill Siggelkow <bills...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: switching to struts-el
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:36:37 GMT
Thanks for the mention, Ted.  As far as the Struts-EL calculator, the
calculation is actually done by the CalcAction (Calc.do) -- not a helper
bean.  The calculation could have been done inline (using EL in the
<c:out>) as with the JSTL calculator; however, in this case, I have the
action to which the form is submitted perform the calculation and place
the value into request scope.

Ted Husted wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Your presentation, mentioned in another thread, is also very helpful.
>
> http://www.jadecove.com/articles/jstl-and-struts.pdf
>
> Towards the end, you show a simple calculator implemented as JSP, Struts, Struts-EL,
and JSTL. On page 33, the Struts-EL uses a "helper bean" to do the arithmetic. The others
do the addition inline. Why is it done differently for Struts-EL?