struts-user mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: ActionErrors in my JSP: how can I rewrite this RT snippet as EL?
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:31:05 GMT
Ha, ha - you have to stand firm mate ;-) - having said that if my wife says
"down tools" I do too - PDQ!

The ActionMessages class and <html:messages> tag are new versions which it
seems are there to replace ActionErrors and <html:errors> so I guess they
are the future. So far I haven't got round to moving over to them yet but
yes, essentially it does the same thing but in a slightly different way.
>From what I understand the <html:messages> tag differs in the following
ways:

* You specify an "id" attribute in <html:messages> which specifies a page
scope bean in which the tag will store the current message for each
iteration - I believe you then have to use something to write out the
message - like <bean:write>

* Using the message="true" will display messages stored under the
Globals.MESSAGE_KEY constant (rather than the default Globals.ERROR_KEY ) -
means you can use it for other messages as well as errors.

* <html:errors> uses the "errors.footer" and "errors.header" keys to get the
header/footer from the application resources - <html:messages> you can
specify these keys using "header" and "footer" attributes on the tag - means
you can have different header/footer for different pages.

So to do you're example I believe you would have to do the following:

     <logic:messagesPresent>
footer="errors.footer"

property="org.apache.struts.action.GLOBAL_MESSAGE">
             <ul><bean:write name="errorMsg"/></ul>
     </logic:messagesPresent>

rather than

     <logic:messagesPresent>
     </logic:messagesPresent>

As I said, I haven't tried them out yet - maybe someone who uses them can
confirm whether this is correct or not.

Niall