struts-user mailing list archives

From Chang Ming Chye <mckin...@yahoo.com.sg>
Subject RequestProcessor handling http requests
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 01:20:56 GMT
Hi,

How does struts handle incoming request and routes it
to the correct action?

For example, if I declare my web.xml as:

<servlet>
  <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
  <servlet-class>
    org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet
  </servlet-class>
  <init-param>
    <param-name>config</param-name>
    <param-value>
      /WEB-INF/struts-config.xml
    </param-value>
  </init-param>
</servlet>

<servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
  <url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

and in my struts-config.xml file I have the following
action declared:

<action path="/searchAction" ... >

When the http request "*/searcAction.do" is received
by the Action Servlet, how is the actual action
"/searchAction" as specified retrieved? Which method
of the RequestProcessor actually removed the extension
".do" from the request?

Furthermore, if the URL-pattern of my servlet-mapping
is specified as "/do/*" instead of "*.do" are the
request mapped again to the actions specified?

Thanks.