struts-user mailing list archives

From Marian Schedenig <m.sc...@gmx.at>
Subject Module navigation
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 18:14:11 GMT
In our Struts-/Tile-based web application, we have troubles navigating between
modules. A simplified scenario looks like this:

Default module - Portal page, login,...
Module "users" - User management
Module "admin" - Administration & settings

All pages are based on one basic Tiles definition, which also includes a menu
bar for navigating between the various parts of the application. Therefore,
we need a way to have links in the menu JSP which work from any of our
modules.

Right now, we use simple "a href" HTML tags, but since they require that we
specify the complete path relative to our server (including the webapp name),
this is not a permanent solution.

Another possibility seems to be using a SwitchAction, but this action would
have to be defined in each module's struts config. I'd prefer a solution
where we don't have to duplicate this kind of data, as I fear it could
quickly lead to inconsistencies.

According to the online documentation for the HTML taglib, the "link" tag
should have a "modules" attribute that would allow us to specify the module
for each link in the link itself. However, none of the HTML taglib versions I
tried (and I downloaded the latest stable/official version) seem to know this
attribute ("module" cannot be found in the entire TLD).

So my question is: Is there a simple way to specify module-independent (i.e.
independent from the *current* module) way to use the same JSP with the same
links from several modules?

And a related problem: Is it possible to make the non-default modules aware of
the Global Forwards and Exceptions specified in the default module? As with
the SwitchAction, I would like to avoid duplicating this kind of data for all
our modules.

Thanks in advance,
Marian.