struts-user mailing list archives

From Jason Miller <jason.mil...@danteconsulting.com>
Subject Re: Module navigation
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 18:14:35 GMT
I was faced with something similar in my last project - while the app
was split into multiple modules (13, to be exact,) there were several
things that I needed to be truly global, like various forwards, and
certain resource bundles.

I found a solution to this problem by defining the global forwards and
resources in a common configuration file, then using that common
configuration in each module (in addition to the module specific configs.)

Basically, if you comma separate config files in the module config
param, struts will load each in turn and use them as the configuration
for the module.  It looks something like this:

<init-param>
     <param-name>config</param-name>
     <param-value>/WEB-INF/conf/struts-default.xml,
                  /WEB-INF/conf/struts-common.xml</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
     <param-name>config/admin</param-name>
     <param-value>/WEB-INF/conf/struts-admin.xml,
                  /WEB-INF/conf/struts-common.xml</param-value>
</init-param>

I used the global forwards defined in the common file for all cross
module navigation.  Made things somewhat simpler, and kept everything in
one place.

Jason