struts-user mailing list archives

From "Freddy Villalba Arias" <fvilla...@madrid.bilbomatica.es>
Subject RE: Filters..
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:49:50 GMT
Hi Vijay,

I'm no guru, yet can give you my personal opinion on this matter:

Yes, they have an impact. The heavier (execution time, resources
consumption, etc...) the filter is, the greater the impact (and so the
opposite :)  ). I suppose that there is also a small overhead associated
to the forwarding mechanism itself, but I haven't actually tested this.
Depending on how time / resource - critical is your web app, this can
become an issue or not.

Yes, I believe they are of great use for certain things (mostly, global
validations and general operations affecting the general behaviour of
your web app) such as, for example, access control. Yet, as with any
other technology, I wouldn't do a blindfold recommendation for it. I
don't believe there is such thing as "IT-panacea".

Again, that is my humble opinion.

HTH,
Freddy.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Vijay.Nair@iflexsolutions.com [mailto:Vijay.Nair@iflexsolutions.com]

Enviado el: martes, 06 de abril de 2004 16:40
Para: user@struts.apache.org
Asunto: RE: Filters..

Apologies...for the generality of the question....
Our Web Application primarily consists of satellite applications
interfacing with a core system....I primarily want to implement them for
access checks as well as a Session Manager for each request of the
application...

Is there any overhead in this coz I just got an opinion that it
does...how was not explained :) which led me thinking whether it really
does lead to an overhead??

Next time I shall be more specific about my queries :)