struts-user mailing list archives

From "Chappell, Simon P" <Simon.Chapp...@landsend.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Stress testing?
Date Thu, 20 May 2004 14:36:34 GMT
Just a couple of points:

1. Consider a couple of testing machines. Our UI is fairly light and we didn't pull down excess
files (like images or style sheets etc etc), so we got away with it, but if I had the choice
I'd look at two machines generating 50 simultaneous users worth of traffic.

2. Check out JMeter (http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/) they may have SSL support. They do
certainly have better "pretties".

3. We hit a cluster, and someone else set it up and configured it, so I can't offer app server
advice. Our main concern was about db access times. The cluster hardly knew we were there,
but the single database on the back end was gasping for breath and asking for mercy by the
time we'd finished with it.

4. For our stress testing, we picked our most used use case and just tested that. We have
functional tests for the others, but the one we picked is the 90-95% used path through our
system. Ours is a very time critical system, so getting that primary "happy" path optimised
was a wonderful return on our investment of time and effort.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Hess [mailto:ghess@wrappedapps.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 4:10 PM
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [OT] Stress testing?

Thanks Simon,

Actually I have been assigned to test 100 simultaneous users as a max,
so that would do fine. We do have some JUnit tests in the bag that we
use but I haven't worked with them yet. I will have a look at HttpUnit,
hope SSL is supported because our application runs exclusively on SSL.

I have been planning to set up my tests as follows:

Client Machine
- running the testing tool hitting the server

Server Machine
- running app server being profiled by JProfiler

I am not sure what performance to expect and how to configure the app
server for optimal performance but I will learn.

Do you know of any guidelines regarding resource consumption like if my
max load is 100 simultanious users performing the heaviest transaction
my CPU usage should not exceed 80% and memory should not exceed 75% of
max available?

Cheers,

Greg Hess
Software Engineer