struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: newbie struts-el best practices question
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:43:36 GMT
Robert Taylor wrote:

>David, I think the consensus is to utilize standards where possible;
>next use common (open source/vendor); otherwise proprietary tags (role your own).
>
>JSTL ==> Struts-EL tags ==> Struts tags ==> common/vendor library tags ==>
role your own tags

>So your application may end up using a combination there of.

This is reasonable advice.  Another way to look at it:  if you're using
the JSTL tags in your apps, it is very convenient to use the Struts-EL
tags because the expression language syntax is the same.  If you're not
using JSTL, there is not necessarily a compelling reason to use
Struts-EL; unless, of course, you want to use it as a way to learn the
EL syntax and semantics :-).

>robert

Craig