struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Way to reload struts Action classes in WebLogic8.1
Date Sun, 02 May 2004 05:15:15 GMT
Inamdar, Anil - Cons wrote:

>Hello,
>Is there a way to reload Actions in Weblogic without redeploying the web
>application.

No.  Java provides no way to replace a class (loaded by a particular
class loader) with a modified version, without throwing away the entire
class loader.  That's what normally happens when you reload a webapp.

>I have the servlet reloading enabled , but weblogic doesnt seem to recognize
>the changes to the Action classes and throws a ClassCastException.
>So every small change I make, I have to redeploy the Web app which makes the
>whole development process slow.

I don't know about Weblogic, but Sun's app servers (and Tomcat) have
"reload" options that are *much* faster than the undeploy/redeploy cycle
it sounds like you are using.  Check the docs.

>thanks
>Anil

Craig