struts-user mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Way to reload struts Action classes in WebLogic8.1
Date Mon, 03 May 2004 06:40:52 GMT
Michael McGrady wrote:

> Isn't it true, Craig, that this is not a problem for hot deploy of the
> classes that do this.  If you have other classes that do not do this,
> then they cannot be hot deployed.  But, what difference does that
> make?  If someone wants to hot deploy them, they can redesign the
> class.  The more I think about it, the less of a problem this seems to
> be.  Am I missing something here?

Most containers (but no guarantees, since it's not in the specs) will
know how to pick up a new class that has never been compiled before.  No
container that I know of lets you selectively replace classes that have
already been loaded into the class loader, because Java's class loader
API doesn't support unloadClass() or replaceClass().

Solving 1% of the problem doesn't help -- it only misleads people.  See
my response in the other thread for a very common Struts use case that
doesn't work with your approach.

> Michael

Craig