struts-user mailing list archives

From "None None" <fzamm...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: R: Turning OFF auto form population?
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 18:07:56 GMT
That's interesting, I knew Struts was designed to be extended in a number of
places, I hadn't thought of doing that... However, I've purposely NOT
extended it in some other places, and I'd like to avoid doing that, just
from a philosophical point of view (i.e., unless I have a real good reason
to, it's probably less complex to use the Struts classes as-is).  It's a
thought though.

You raise an interesting point about the name attribute though... I know I
can just leave it out, and then I'll be responsible for instantiating the
ActionForm and putting it in request to return to the view (which is what
our homegrown framework does).  I was thinking that I would let Struts
instantiate it for me, and send it to the view for me, then I can remove
some code that would at that point be superfolous.  But, your point is a
good one: since the code is doing it already, I can just NOT specify an
ActionForm for the Actions, then it wouldn't matter what class I extend them
from.  That would do the trick.

But, I still at some future point would have to go back into
struts-config.xml and put the name attribute back in becuase presumably I'm
going to want to do that eventually (and I in fact do).  So, although what
you point out is a solution I can use, I'd still like to know if there is a
way I can get the benefit of Struts handling the creation of the ActionForm
and the passing it to the view for me WITHOUT having it auto-populate it on
the way in.  That's still i think the ideal situation for me, if it's
possible, so the question still stands.