struts-user mailing list archives

From "Ashutosh Satyam" <ashutosh.sat...@alopa.com>
Subject RE: How to read a parameter in web.xml from Action class
Date Thu, 20 May 2004 05:40:30 GMT
One more addendum to this.
 In case you want this intialization parameter to be
available to all the servlets in your web application, then
it should be defined like this in web.xml

<context-param>
 <param-name>myParamName</param-name>
 <param-value>myParamValue</param-value>
</context-param>

Now you can call getInitParameter("myParamName") on the
ServletContext to retrieve it's value.

ServletContext ctxt = servlet.getServletContext();
String  sname = ctxt.getInitParameter("myParamName");

     OR

String paramValue =
 request.getSession().getServletContext().getInitParameter("myParamValue");

There is one ServletContext per "web application" per Java Virtual Machine.

If intialization parmaeter is defined for a specific servlet, then it'll be
accessible only by this servlet. To retrieve this parameter need to call
getInitParameter() on this servlet.

Hope it clears your doubt.
- Ashutosh