struts-user mailing list archives

From "Amleto Di Salle" <disa...@di.univaq.it>
Subject R: Front Controller?
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2004 16:26:46 GMT
Hi,
I think that MVC and Front Controller are slightly different because MVC
(or Model 2) is an "architectural" pattern and Front Controller is a
design pattern.

Front Controller design pattern is a possible solution for the
Controller "element" inside the MVC pattern.

BR
Amleto

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Chaikin, Yaakov Y (US SSA) [mailto:yaakov.y.chaikin@baesystems.com]
Inviato: lunedì 7 giugno 2004 18.13
A: Struts Users Mailing List
Oggetto: RE: Front Controller?

> Model 2 / MVC / Front Controller are all the same thing.

Hmm... No, they are not. Front Controller and MVC are similar, but are
NOT the same design patterns! Front Controller is used for a sequence of
predefined steps (like a check out on amazon). MVC is used for
separation of Model (data handling), View (presentation handling),
Conroller (where to go). Whatever it is, those 2 design patterns are not
the same.

> In Struts the
> "Front Controller" is the "ActionServlet", it
> receives/handles/dispatches every single request that comes into your
> web app. You write actions that are like units of functionality, then
> specify in a mapping file the relationship between URLs and the
Action,
> then depending on where the user is going, the ActionServlet will call

> the appropriate Action at the appropriate time to handle the user's
request.

Are you suggesting that Struts gives you the ability to specify a
sequence of actions? If so, I am not following how one would do that.

>>From what I understand Struts would give you the ability to specify
where each action ends up, and in that sense you ARE specifying a
sequence of actions. Is that what you mean?

Thanks,
Yaakov.