struts-user mailing list archives

From "Navjot Singh" <navjo...@net4india.net>
Subject RE: J2EE design help needed!
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 05:39:32 GMT
hi,

>I see the following options:
>
>a) Application gets packaged as is, in a single ear containing a single war
>and jar.
>pros - simple build, current architecture
>cons - monolithic, not component based, not modular
>b) individual war file for each new service
>pros - modular, possibly more understandable
>cons - will get into dependancies between the modules anyway; may have
>issues sharing session objects between wars
>
>there are probably other options.
>
>I'd really love some advice from people who have had these problems in the
>past. They must be out there!
>
>thanks very much indeed,
>Brian

Assume you have multiple wars. Lets think about the ways we can deploy.

1. As Multiple wars in 1 host. That also means more than 1 context.

-- One war might be accessing model casses from other war. Then you decide
about plugging all the model classes into 1 big common jar file. Now, that
jar should be available to all of your wars. So you will deploy that
common.jar to <tomcat>/common/lib OR <tomcat>/endorsed/lib or whatever your
container requirements are. In the end what your war files will contain?
actions/views?

-- How would you forward from one war to another war? Redirects have their
own limitations.

2. As 1 war per host. Say A.war under a.dom.com and B.war under b.dom.com.
Think about passing control.

Struts allows the module functionality so as to help with the development
process so that teams/people can divide the modules among themeselves and do
parallel development.

Generating WARs is the deployment issue.

>From my experience, 1 WAR should be generated for 1 business application.
Generating wars for each of modules within a business application is not a
good idea.

my 2 cents
<navjot/>