struts-user mailing list archives

From "Foux Dev." <foux....@foux.net>
Subject Re: big validation.xml
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 08:22:09 GMT
Hi,

I would suggest you take a close look to Struts Modules. Isolating
specific parts of your application into modules has the following
advantages:

- reduces size of validation.xml and struts-config.xml files, as each
module as its own set of files; althrough validation and resources can
be shared between modules.

- better separation of team work: each team handles its own set of XML,
resources, HTML/JSP/.. files, and therefore reduces dramatically
CVS/SVN/.. conflicts! Working in a team on a huge monolithic
configuration file is a nightmare!

- better overview of your global application and a lot more maintainable.

Of course, splitting your application into modules will also need some
"standard rules" between them, but that's not of Struts' responsability,
rather a development management issue. And there are not specific rules
for splitting applications into modules: it's more based on logic and
common sense than anything else.

Cheers,
Fulco

some useful links:
- http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/configuration.html
- he "Struts Survival Guide" on www.objectsource.com has a lot of tips
and tricks that will save you hours of surfing forums/mailinglist
looking for answers  (nooo, I've nothing to do with that book ;o))

Christopher.Marsh-Bourdon@ftid.com wrote:

>I'm in the same boat, up until now we've developed small Struts
>applications (about 20 different sets of input/view forms).  Now we are
>going to migrate an application which we wrote in our own framework to
>Struts.  This contains about 300 separate input/view forms (a lot will be
>reduced down due to re-usability of Struts over our own framework).  As
>Dion asks, what is the best practice for projects of this size?
>
>Cheers
>
>Christopher Marsh-Bourdon
>

>"Dionisius Purba" <Dionisius.Purba@mitrais.com>
>01/07/2004 08:07
>Please respond to "Struts Users Mailing List"

>        cc:
>        Subject:        big validation.xml
>

>Hi all,
>
>Struts-validator, or I guess it has become common-validator (?) is very
>cool,
>a lot of thanks for making life easier.
>Because there are lots of entities in application that I'm developing,
>more than 80,
>the validation.xml file will be so big, roughly more than two thousands
>line.
>
>For such a big validation.xml, will there be effect in performance
>in the JSP that utilize the validation.xml?
>Are there any tips/best practices for such situation?
>
>Thanks a lot in advance for any comments/suggestions.
>

>~dion

>The information in this e-mail is confidential. It is intended solely for the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete this
message. Any review, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this communication
or the information in it is strictly prohibited.