struts-user mailing list archives

From James Sheridan <james.sheri...@tecnomen.ie>
Subject RE: Back navigation using application back buttons
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:43:11 GMT

them ?

-- James

-----Original Message-----
From: Meier, Niclas [mailto:mail@niclas-meier.de]
Sent: 27 July 2004 19:06
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Back navigation using application back buttons

Hello,

You can try two hidden fields fort he 'currentPage' and 'lastPage'. When you
submit any form with the 'next'-Button you can evalute the request determine
the next page in your process. If you proceed with the back button, you can

Example 1
Page 1 (c:1, l:undef) -[fwd]-> Page 2 (c:2, l:1) -[back]-> Page 1 (c:1, l:2)

Example 2
Page 1 (c:1, l:undef) -[fwd]-> Page 3 (c:3, l:1) -[fwd]-> Page 2 (c:2, l:3)
-[back]-> Page 3 (c:3, l:2)

You can implement this function into Abstract classes (From and Action) to
handle the whole navigation. Or you create a dispatcher which all pages
configured into.

    <action path="/foo/dispatcher" name="naviForm"
type="com.foo.struts.DispatcherAction">
      <forward name="1" path="/pages/page1.jsp"/>
      <forward name="2" path="/pages/page2.jsp"/>
      <forward name="3" path="/pages/page2.jsp"/>
    </action>

A good idea maybe the seperation of request handling of the page form, which
is related to the page and some stuff you need to prepare the view. I often
use this pattern with great success.

{Form on Page 1} -[submit]-> FormOneRequestHandlingAction -[forward]->
DispatcherAction -[forward]-> ViewPreparingActionPageTwo -[forward] ->
Page2.jsp

The first two actions can decide to return to page 1 and the third action
will always forward to the jsp.

Regards
Niclas