struts-user mailing list archives

From James Sheridan <james.sheri...@tecnomen.ie>
Subject RE: Back navigation using application back buttons
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:52:36 GMT
Hi Puneet,

Good to hear you have a solution. Item 3 in your list is exactly the
situation I describe. Would you mind sharing the code with the user group ?

Thanks
    James

-----Original Message-----
From: puneet.a@tcs.com [mailto:puneet.a@tcs.com]
Sent: 28 July 2004 05:15
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Back navigation using application back buttons

I beleive this is really a desired feature, and I have a piece of code for
doing all this.
Which extends DispatchAction and RequestProcessor.

We needed this for
1.        BreadCrumbs
2.        Wizard type of Screen
3.        A situation when particular screen was being invoked from multiple
places and there was a back button on the called screen.

Puneet Agarwal
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: puneet.a@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com

Martin.Rademacher@prg.co.nz

07/28/2004 05:14 AM

Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: Back navigation using application back buttons

Hi there,

Another way to implement this is to *use* the struts config file. In my
case I have a multi page form over four pages. All submissions are handled
by the same Action class. However, the action is different for each form.
For example:

Page1:
<form action="ProcessPage1">
 <input type="hidden" name="page" value="1">
</form>

Page2:
<form action="ProcessPage2">
 <input type="hidden" name="page" value="2">
</form>

Both ProcessPage1 and ProcessPage2 are mapped to the same Action class.
After processing the form, the Action will return a forward mapping
of "back", "next", "print" or anything else that may be required depending
on the button clicked in the page.

Since there are individual mappings, I can use local forwards to control
where to go; for example:

       <action path="/ProcessPage1" type="com.foo.ProcessFormAction" name
="myform" scope="session" input="page1">
               <forward name="next" path="/jsp/page2.jsp" />
               <forward name="cancel" path="/jsp/maybe_next_time.jsp" />
       </action>

       <action path="/ProcessPage2" type="com.foo.ProcessFormAction" name
="myform" scope="session" input="page2">
               <forward name="back" path="/jsp/page1.jsp" />
               <forward name="next" path="/jsp/page3.jsp" />
               <forward name="print" path="/jsp/page2.jsp" />
       </action>

Cheers, Martin

"Meier, Niclas" <mail@niclas-meier.de>
28/07/2004 06:06
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: Back navigation using application back buttons

Hello,

You can try two hidden fields fort he 'currentPage' and 'lastPage'. When
you submit any form with the 'next'-Button you can evalute the request
determine the next page in your process. If you proceed with the back
button, you can go back the the last page:

Example 1
Page 1 (c:1, l:undef) -[fwd]-> Page 2 (c:2, l:1) -[back]-> Page 1 (c:1,
l:2)

Example 2
Page 1 (c:1, l:undef) -[fwd]-> Page 3 (c:3, l:1) -[fwd]-> Page 2 (c:2,
l:3) -[back]-> Page 3 (c:3, l:2)

You can implement this function into Abstract classes (From and Action) to
handle the whole navigation. Or you create a dispatcher which all pages
configured into.

   <action path="/foo/dispatcher" name="naviForm"
type="com.foo.struts.DispatcherAction">
     <forward name="1" path="/pages/page1.jsp"/>
     <forward name="2" path="/pages/page2.jsp"/>
     <forward name="3" path="/pages/page2.jsp"/>
   </action>

A good idea maybe the seperation of request handling of the page form,
which is related to the page and some stuff you need to prepare the view.
I often use this pattern with great success.

{Form on Page 1} -[submit]-> FormOneRequestHandlingAction -[forward]->
DispatcherAction -[forward]-> ViewPreparingActionPageTwo -[forward] ->
Page2.jsp

The first two actions can decide to return to page 1 and the third action
will always forward to the jsp.

Regards
Niclas