struts-user mailing list archives

From Michael McGrady <m...@michaelmcgrady.com>
Subject RE: some best practices questions
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:14:27 GMT
At 12:36 AM 7/8/2004, you wrote:
>For this particular use case I would either just use the session, or
>alternatively I would just look up the dropdowns from db each time and
>accept the performance hit, but its (probably) not worth the development
>time - including ongoing maintenance - to do anything overly tricky just for
>a few dropdowns.
>
>my 2c

The thing is, though, Andrew, these are recurrent issues and seem to
require a generic solution.  Having a small manager in application scope
which can create and monitor a scope which is not application, not session,
and not request, is worth the while for these recurrent problems, I
think.  The persistence of such a scope can be made a function of the data
rather than the interest of the clients.  That is worth having to use on a
general basis, I think, and can be done with a very small performance
hit.  In fact, my guess is that it would be a performance plus.

Michael