struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Barrows" <jbarr...@sssc.com>
Subject RE: [OT] how to calculate the size of an object
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:24:24 GMT
Only problem is, that this is the size of the object with a new object, rather then being something
that could be done dynamically.  Not to mention
that if this is done at run time ( which is what the original poster wants I believe) then
you can be completely screwed by a GC run, and end up
with a negative number.

-----Original Message-----
From: DGraham@EvergreenInvestments.com [mailto:DGraham@EvergreenInvestments.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 9:10 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [OT] how to calculate the size of an object

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=size+java+object

The first one looks promising.

Dennis

Navjot Singh <navjot.s@net4india.net>

07/08/2004 11:57 AM

Please respond to

cc

Subject
[OT] how to calculate the size of an object

hi,

I use SAX parser to load an LDIF file into memory. Whatsoever data i
read, i fill into an object.

I need to know *the size of LDIFData object* at runtime. How to do that?

Well the class structure is something like this

public class LDIFData{
                ArrayList cards; // collection of Card
                String filename;
                long lastLoadedTime;
}

public class Card{
                String name;
                String email
                String mobile;
}

--
regards
Navjot Singh

When you jump for joy, beware that no-one moves the ground from beneath
your feet. -- Stanislaw Lem, "Unkempt Thoughts"