struts-user mailing list archives

From punee...@tcs.com
Subject RE: Back navigation using application back buttons
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 04:14:54 GMT
I beleive this is really a desired feature, and I have a piece of code for
doing all this.
Which extends DispatchAction and RequestProcessor.

We needed this for
1.      BreadCrumbs
2.      Wizard type of Screen
3.      A situation when particular screen was being invoked from multiple
places and there was a back button on the called screen.

Puneet Agarwal
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: puneet.a@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com

Martin.Rademacher@prg.co.nz
07/28/2004 05:14 AM

Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: Back navigation using application back buttons

Hi there,

Another way to implement this is to *use* the struts config file. In my
case I have a multi page form over four pages. All submissions are handled
by the same Action class. However, the action is different for each form.
For example:

Page1:
<form action="ProcessPage1">
  <input type="hidden" name="page" value="1">
</form>

Page2:
<form action="ProcessPage2">
  <input type="hidden" name="page" value="2">
</form>

Both ProcessPage1 and ProcessPage2 are mapped to the same Action class.
After processing the form, the Action will return a forward mapping
of "back", "next", "print" or anything else that may be required depending

on the button clicked in the page.

Since there are individual mappings, I can use local forwards to control
where to go; for example:

        <action path="/ProcessPage1" type="com.foo.ProcessFormAction" name
="myform" scope="session" input="page1">
                <forward name="next" path="/jsp/page2.jsp" />
                <forward name="cancel" path="/jsp/maybe_next_time.jsp" />
        </action>

        <action path="/ProcessPage2" type="com.foo.ProcessFormAction" name
="myform" scope="session" input="page2">
                <forward name="back" path="/jsp/page1.jsp" />
                <forward name="next" path="/jsp/page3.jsp" />
                <forward name="print" path="/jsp/page2.jsp" />
        </action>

Cheers, Martin

"Meier, Niclas" <mail@niclas-meier.de>
28/07/2004 06:06
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: Back navigation using application back buttons

Hello,

You can try two hidden fields fort he 'currentPage' and 'lastPage'. When
you submit any form with the 'next'-Button you can evalute the request
determine the next page in your process. If you proceed with the back
button, you can go back the the last page:

Example 1
Page 1 (c:1, l:undef) -[fwd]-> Page 2 (c:2, l:1) -[back]-> Page 1 (c:1,
l:2)

Example 2
Page 1 (c:1, l:undef) -[fwd]-> Page 3 (c:3, l:1) -[fwd]-> Page 2 (c:2,
l:3) -[back]-> Page 3 (c:3, l:2)

You can implement this function into Abstract classes (From and Action) to

handle the whole navigation. Or you create a dispatcher which all pages
configured into.

    <action path="/foo/dispatcher" name="naviForm"
type="com.foo.struts.DispatcherAction">
      <forward name="1" path="/pages/page1.jsp"/>
      <forward name="2" path="/pages/page2.jsp"/>
      <forward name="3" path="/pages/page2.jsp"/>
    </action>

A good idea maybe the seperation of request handling of the page form,
which is related to the page and some stuff you need to prepare the view.
I often use this pattern with great success.

{Form on Page 1} -[submit]-> FormOneRequestHandlingAction -[forward]->
DispatcherAction -[forward]-> ViewPreparingActionPageTwo -[forward] ->
Page2.jsp

The first two actions can decide to return to page 1 and the third action
will always forward to the jsp.

Regards
Niclas