struts-user mailing list archives

From "James Mitchell" <jmitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: message resources in db
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:17:46 GMT

From: "Jim Barrows" <jbarrows@sssc.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 11:15 AM
Subject: RE: message resources in db

This notion keeps popping up, and I keep wondering why.  On the surface it
seems okay, keep everything where it's easy to maintain... but in reality,
you really don't buy anything with it.
If you do it so you can dynamically change the values, then you slow down
your page throughput quite painfully.  So, of course you cache the data...
which means it's not dynamic and you either provide a way to flush the cache
(which you could do for a flat file as well, as Spring has apparently done).
Then you have the apparent fact that by doing so you are now outside the
Java provided i18n stuff, so you might be in a position of trying to
maintain this code to keep up with what Java provides for you autmatically.
So, you gain what?  it's in a database?
I'm curios as to what you're reasoning is to put these into a database, coz
I'm looking for a good excuse to do it myself :)