struts-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Czernay <alexan...@czernay.com>
Subject Totally stuck handling forms
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:51:57 GMT
I'm still trying to find a nice way for handling standard
list/create/edit/delete-forms...

After browsing through all the hints and tips I got from here, I started
building an initial form-setup-action using DispatchAction with a
parameter dispatch that should be set to list, create, edit or delete,
depending on the action wanted. That form-setup-action should
pre-populate the form as needed and then forward to the apropriate
action for display. There are two further actions; one for listing all
existing entries (form-list-action, a LookupDispatchAction) and another
for displaying an individual entry for editing (form-edit-action).

Now I tried to stick it all together passing parameters around. But
exactly that doesn't work as expected: On the list-form I present a list
of all entries available together with submit-buttons for
edit/delete-actions for each individual entry. There also is a single
create button for creating new entries. Pressing the create-button
invokes a create-method in the form-list-action that calls a forward
named "create". That forward points back to the form-setup-action with
"?dispatch=create" added to the path. The form-setup-action should then
forward to the appropriate form-create-action, but it looks like the
dispatch parameter isn't passed on to the form-setup-action.

I wonder if this approach is ok or if there are better ones? How could
the parameters be passed from one action to another (I couldn't find any
parameter one could add to a <forward>-tag to pass paramaters that way.

Thanks for your help,
Alexander