struts-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: view controller
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:33:38 GMT
On 12/02/2004 04:05 PM Joe Germuska wrote:
> At 10:26 AM +0000 12/2/04, Adam Hardy wrote:
>> I'm intrigued to know how you would declare the view controllers and
>> register them against URLs. It would be in struts-config.xml
>> presumably. Would you be able to register them against a tile def?
>> Would the view controller have the same method signature as the action
>> execute()?
>>
>> Have you actually got anything in the nightly build yet?
>

> No, nothing yet.  The first order of business is getting the chain in
> there, and action on that is waiting for the full release of Chain 1.0.
> I'm thinking about the issues and looking for challenges while we wait.
>
> As for anything specific to a view controller -- well, I'm not sure how
> it would be configured, and I consider that important.  In a project
> here, we have a class we call "UIToolKit" which has a collection of
> "renderers", and then we have a "PagePrep" chain command which operates
> between "ExecuteAction" and "TilesPreProcess". (This allows the
> controllers to be registered against tiles paths, although now that I
> think of it, it is probably only operating for the "master" or top-level
> tile.
>
> The renderer config looks something like this:
>
>      <render
>          path        =".configure.SelectTopicsOrModel"
>          type        ="....ConfigureRenderer"
>          method    ="selectTopicsOrModel"
>          form        ="configure_SelectTopicsOrModel"
>          scope   ="request"
>          />
>
> where "path" is compared to the return value of "getPath()" called on
> the ActionForward which was returned by the Action class.  "type" is a
> class, and "method" is a method on the class; for our local use, it is
> understood that the method will take a single "RenderContext" argument.
> "form" and "scope" are optional, but if defined, they will be used to
> put a form into the RenderContext so that prepopulation can occur.  The
> RenderContext also has references to the request, response and other
> application classes which may be necessary to do the prepopulation or
> other view preparation.
>
> I'm not specifically proposing this for Struts at all, but only offering
> it so that people can critique and consider some of the issues we've
> covered here in a "prototypical" implementation of this idea.
>
> The RenderContext would probably be replaced by a class called
> "ViewContext" which has been discussed recently on the dev mailing list,
> and fairly thoroughly elaborated on by Ted Husted.
>
> Moving forward, the main question is whether it's even worth creating a
> new area of struts configuration for this, or whether it would be more
> suitable simply to advise people to configure chain commands which do
> the same thing.  Ted's idea is that "ViewContext" would be a subclass of
> Chain context, so the structure of any view controller class would be
> pretty similar to a Chain command: "public void execute(Context)"

> [...]

If your view controller is actually just a command on the chain for an
action mapping, how would you register it against the action mapping's
'input' attribute in order to get pre-presentation stuff to happen for
the validate-failures?

Just from a quick look at the dev list, it seems you want to put the
view class as the last command on the chain. I think I must be missing
something.

I tell you what, don't bother about it for the moment as I have
unfortunately no time and it looks like I should be taking this over to
the dev list to carry on the discussion. If I do get time soon I'll
subscribe to that list.

Thanks
Adam