struts-user mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: Which methodology is better?
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:16:19 GMT
This question is entirely dependent on what environment your developing for.

95% of my work these days is internal-only applications where we have,
basically, a "captive" audience: IE and nothing else, configured from a
central location and locked down.  For me, I can do thing that I would
never consider doing otherwise, like 99% of validation on the
client-side.  Look at it this way... If I KNOW I can safely do this, why
not make the app that much faster and responsive and minimize the load
on the server?

But, when I do develop for public consumption, it's a different mindset.
  I still do as much client-side validation as possible for the same
reasons as above, but now I have to do some server-side checking.
Depending on what I'm validating I may have to do it all there too.

But it depends on your target audience, how well you know what's coming
in.  It's not a straight-forward answer, either way.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Jim Barrows wrote:

> [...]
submit it to your site faster then you can say PeterPiperPickedAPeckOfPickledPeppers 5 times
fast.
> In general, leave nothing on the web page unless you absolutely have to.  Avoid Javascript
the way a politician avoids a lie detector.  It will save you a lot of heartache in the long
run.