struts-user mailing list archives

From Seth Milder <mrs...@physics.gmu.edu>
Subject Re: JSTL <x:parse/> Tag Question
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:22:22 GMT
Andrew Hill wrote:
> <snip>
> parse an xml file from the local filesystem
> </snip>

Yes, this is correct. It seems to want to do this over HTTP. Local paths
do not seem to work, unless I am missing something, which is entirely
possible.

> The users local filesystem, or the servers?
>
> In the former case no (you would need to get them to uplaod it first).
> In the later case (which I guess is what you mean as it has a leading
> /)... not sure. :-(
>
> <snip>
> "We want to stand upon our own feet and look fair and square at the
> world -- its good facts, its bad facts, its beauties, and its ugliness;
> see the world as it is and be not afraid of it. Conquer the world by
> intelligence and not merely by being slavishly subdued by the terror
> that comes from it." [Bertrand Russell]
> </snip>
>
> The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
> human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of
> ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant
> that we should voyage far.
> The sciences, each straining in its own direction, has hitherto harmed
> us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge
> will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful
> position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or
> flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
> - HP Lovecraft
>

> ok ok, I admit it! I only really answered to throw the lovecraft quote
> back at your russell quote, but hey, its Friday! :-) (by a whole hour)
>
> -Andrew

I can deal with being infintesmal. I just feel honored to be sentient.
Most things in the Universe do not have this priviledge :) I think
Lovecraft is correct though, I can feel the darkness approaching rapidly.

> Seth Milder wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new to using the JSTL x tags and I was wondering if there was a
>> way to parse an xml file from the local filesystem without having to
>> go through HTTP first.  I'd like to be able to do something like this:
>>
>>   <c:import url="/some/path/to/test.xml" var="xml" />
>>   <x:parse  doc="${xml}" var="foo" />
>>
>> Is there a way to do this?
>>
>> Thanks for your help!

Seth Milder
Department of Physics and Astronomy
George Mason University
--
"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to
create him." Arthur C. Clarke. Contributed by Larry Reyka.