struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Barrows" <jbarr...@sssc.com>
Subject RE: message resources in db
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:24:33 GMT

Struts makes use of that.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/intl/index.html

> > So, you gain what?  it's in a database?
> > I'm curios as to what you're reasoning is to put these into
> a database,
>
> some of my sites require the client to be able to manage the content,
> this includes i18n labels and messages.  Our deployments are done via
> war files, so to change a label requires to rebuild the war file and
> redeploy.

I have a push button war builder, so building wars with changed applicaiton resource bundles
doesn't bother me.  Changing these often enough to warrant worrying about how often I have
to bounce a production server.... Okay, maybe.
Given the cheapness of hardware, and a clustering web app server, even this can be worked
around.

> What I'd prefer is a user friendly gui to manage messages (yes would
> require cache flushing etc).  Another useful feature would be to
> highlight discrepancies between messages in different locale bundles.

Now that would be cool :)

> aside....   I'm guessing someone has already implemented a caching
> system for clusters? does spring provide something like this?
>  I guess
> if you need to refresh the cache from one server you need to
> refresh all
> of the caches.

I believe Spring does, but not necessarily for a clustered environment.