struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Barrows" <jbarr...@sssc.com>
Subject RE: Urgent Helppp needed
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:44:01 GMT

You asked anywhere, so you get a pet peeve.  Using u for you and plz for please and all the
other "elite speak" nonsense is annoying please stop using it.

> I m planning to use WSAD for development. & would be implementing it
> with Tomcat 4.1(as wsad doesn't give an option to configure a higher
> version) & JDK1.3.

I'm using WSAD now at work.  At home I use Eclipse 3.0 and My Eclipse and half a dozen plugins.
 I find my home environment much more productive then WSAD in most cases.

> My application is a sales tracking system wherein I have various
> modules.
> Some of my modules & it's activities are as follows:
> 1.	Security
> 	a.	Role
> 	b.	Module
> 	c.	Form
> 	d.	Access Right
> 	e.	Change Password
>
> 2.	Setup
> 	a.	Organisation
> 	b.	Branch
> 	c.	Employee
> 	d.	Reporting
> 	e.	Designation
>
> 3.	Pre-Sales
> 	a.	Team
> 	b.	Model
> 	c.	Color
> 	d.	Status
> 	e.	Price
> 	f.	Finance Source
> 	g.	Prospect
> 	h.	Target
> 	i.	Case Detail
> 	j.	Lead Assignment
>
> 4.	Sales
> 	a.	Order Booking
> 	b.	Customer
> 	c.	Dispatch
>
> 5.	Inventory
> 	a.	Stock
>
> 6.	Reports
> 	a.	Model Wise
> 	b.	Team Wise
> 	c.	Branch Wise
> 	d.	Case History
> 	e. 	Ageing Report
>
> 7.	Competitor's Activity
>
> I m thinking about implementing the security part thru JAAS.
> Suggest me
> if there's a good alternative to it.

The better alternative is to use container managed security, implementing JAAS.  Tomcat supports
this iirc in the 4.x series.

> I also want to know as to where should I store the jsp pages,

/WEB-INF/[pages|jsps|your favorite name]

> the action
> classes, action forms etc. i.e, what kind of hierarchy should I manage
> so that making changes/updations is easy.

I typically use:
com/blah/ui/web
com/blah/ui/web/struts/actions
com/blah/ui/web/struts/forms
com/blah/ui/web/tags
com/blah/ui/web/servlets
com/blah/ui/web/listeners
com/blah/ui/web/filters
com/blah/business/
com/blah/business/stdimplementation
com/blah/business/[Custom implementations for customers etc.]
com/blah/dao
com/blah/dao/hibernate
com/blah/model

Which is mostly from the J2EE blueprints you can find on the sun site.  Good generic reference
to all things J2EE on the java.sun.com site.