struts-user mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: DispatchChainAction (Struts 1.3)
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:01:36 GMT
At 1:55 PM -0500 12/21/04, Benedict, Paul C wrote:
>I noticed in Struts 1.3 there is a DispatchChainAction, and the parameter
>attribute specifies the name of the chain to execute. Would somebody
>consider that a security hole? It seems like anyone could arbitrarily
>execute any chain command in the entire Struts app if they knew it -- unlike
>a normal DispatchAction whose parameter is only relevant for that Action
>class.
>
>Also, I hope there will be a MappingDispatchChainAction too. The
>MappingDispatchAction is, in my opinion, the absolute best feature of Struts
>1.2 and secures the internals of the app better (i.e., not exposing method
>names to the world). However, it seems that it would be impossible to
>implement (currently) since the parameter attribute is already in use for
>the chain command.

I just got back from a few days away.  In all the mail, I may have
missed further discussion on this -- in fact, I kind of thought I'd
replied to it before!

I think the dispatch chain action is flawed now that it takes two
values to really look up a command to execute (the command name and
the chain name).  I think it would make sense to derive a single
string syntax which joins these two values, but that doesn't solve
the security problem in any way.

I also think the base DispatchAction should not be furthered;
instead, we should simply add a chain command which reads
catalog/command values from the ActionMapping and does the same work.
I'll bring this up on the dev list soon.

I agree that it would be nice to have some internal method dispatch
in a command.  We use that style extensively at my day job.  I wonder
if it's worth adding support for that in the chain package itself?

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com