struts-user mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: [Tiles] Action class to retrieve list and send to tile
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:59:13 GMT
At 4:29 PM -0300 12/22/04, Ritchie Warsito wrote:
>I'm gonna give a small bump here, cuz I'm really still troubling
>with this (for work). So if anyone have any idea or any other
>approach, please...
>Tnx,
>Ritchie

you can remove your DoTiles action and use the name of a tiles
definition in the "path" value of any forward.  You can also use a
"forward" attribute in <action> instead of "type" when you simply
want to route directly to a view page with no processing.

So your struts-config could look more like this:

<action-mappings >
      <action path="/index" forward="index" />
      <action path="/accOptions" forward="account" />
      <action path="/getAccountAction"
type="com.frontier.action.getAccountAction">
         <forward name="success" path="account" />
      </action>
      <action path="/getMortgageAction"
type="com.frontier.action.getMortgageAction">
          <forward name="sucess" path="mortgage" />
      </action>
   </action-mappings>

>Only problem is, it ain't working. Seems like by calling a double
>action forward it loses it's session or something.
>So how can I accomplish what I want? Any idea's on this. It might be
>simple, but it's all new for me, so I have no clue anymore.
>I hope it isn't too long, but I wanted to give as much needed detail
>as possible.

While I don't think you actually need action chaining after
simplifying your struts-config, note that Struts is not designed for
using action paths as the path of an ActionForward.  Technically this
works, because (except when the forward path is a tiles definition),
all Struts does is call RequestDispatcher.forward(path)  However, the
behavior is not always straightforward.

This has been beaten to death on the list archives and is also
discussed in the Wiki, so I won't repeat it all, but in short, while
chaining actions sometimes works, it can be unpredictable in some
cases.  Struts 1.3 (in CVS still) is moving towards a more flexible
way of composing small bits of behavior both for the overall request
process as well as for individual actions.

Hope this helps a little...

Joe

--
Joe Germuska