struts-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Beal <jb...@webmedx.com>
Subject Re: bean:write filter question
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:42:36 GMT
nodeValue is part of the W3C DOM.  (See
http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Core for the full specification.)  The
W3C DOM is a language-neutral specification for accessing a document
object model, whether HTML or XML.  The org.w3c.dom package in Java 1.4
is an implementation of the standard for XML documents in the Java
language.  Reasonably recent versions of the browsers support this
standard in JavaScript to one extent or another.

The only thing that I always forget is that nodeValue() only returns a
value for text nodes.  It's not like XSLT where the text value of an
element is the text value of all contained text nodes.  So, basically,
this.nodeValue wouldn't have worked anyway.  The DOM-compliant way of
doing this.innerText (for an element with only one child node) would be
this.childNodes.items(0).nodeValue.  this.innerText is a lot neater.

-- Jeff

fzlists@omnytex.com wrote:
> You DID put me on to one answer though... I can pass this.innerText, that works.  I'd
still like to know what the nodeValue was though, I've never seen that...