struts-user mailing list archives

From fzli...@omnytex.com
Subject Re: open new window form struts action
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:56:36 GMT
This should probably be an answer on the Wiki since I see this asked quite a bit...

No, you cannot open a new window from an Action.  Not directly anyway.  Opening a window is
strictly a client-side activity.  Therefore, you have two choices:

(1) Submit a form to _blank, as you said (actually, I think it's _new, but my memory sucks
so I'm not sure)

(2) Use Javascript to open it, as you have already

I have something similar on all my pages... I can return a message from any Action that is
displayed via JS alert().  To do this, I simply send a "message" attribute back in request,
and every page checks if it's null onLoad, and if not calls:

alert("<%=(String)request.getAttribute("message")%>");

Since all my JSP's import a common file for things like this, it's only in one place.

I'm not sure if you want the new window to open in response to a for submission (in which
case just targeting a new window is probably the better idea) or variably depending on what
the server returns.  I think it's the later based on what you said, so I think something like
I do would suit you.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect