struts-user mailing list archives

From Mark McWiggins <m...@IcanFixYourEmail.com>
Subject New to Struts & seeking advice
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 01:19:19 GMT
Hi All,

I've developed several web applications over the last 10 years, mostly
based on Perl CGI. The 2003 project I did
made me swear off CGI and look for something that does a better job of
maintaining session and data across pages,
among other things. Struts seems to fit the bill.

But: what's a recommended set of tools to use? I've been working a bit
with Netbeans 4.0 on sample applications and
it does a fine job building a .WAR file for deployment. But it doesn't
seem to have enough smarts to see when something
is broken enough that Tomcat (v 5.0.28) chokes on it with an unhelpful
error message. Also, I tried installing the Struts Console
into this version of Netbeans and got:

    Warning - could not install some modules:
       Struts Console - No module providing the capability
org.openide.compiler.CompilationEngine could be found.
       Struts Console - No module providing the capability
org.openide.TopManager could be found.
       Struts Console - The module named org.openide.deprecated was
needed and not found.
       Struts Console - The module named org.openide.compiler was needed
and not found.
       Struts Console - The module named
org.openide.execution.deprecated was needed and not found.

So:

    *    Is Eclipse or something else clearly better and more
Struts-capable?
    *    Is AppFuse worth using as a basis for a real app? I tried
working through the tutorial and got it going,
          but it is based on Hibernate and I was told that Hibernate may
not be mature enough for deployment?
    *   Any other tools or techniques that you fervently recommend or
recommend avoiding?

Thanks in advance for any guidance whatsoever.

--
Mark McWiggins
425-369-8286 (let ring)