struts-user mailing list archives

From Erik Weber <erikwe...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: JBoss does not reflect changes without restart
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:06:35 GMT
I experienced unfriendly behavior from JBoss 3.2.4 related to this (I
was deploying war files and not ear files). I suspect the hot deploy
mechanism *might* be buggy (which leaves me wondering because I thought
it worked great in 2.4.x), but I did manage to find some things I could
do that seemed to help.

1) Session persistence affects this -- when you redeploy, JBoss/Tomcat
attempts to save all sessions to disk, then undeploy, then deploy, then
reload the sessions. (It's a nice feature when it works). This is a
place for programmer errors to occur, as it's easy to have reachable
references to non-serializable objects. Whether there is a save/load bug
I don't know, but 1) making sure all session attributes are serializable
(obviously) and 2) clicking on your app's "logout" button to end your
session before attempting the redeploy (so there is no save/load) seemed
to help some. I don't think it completely solved the problem as I recall.

2) I found that I often needed to manually delete the "tmp" and "work"
directories created from the original webapp deployment, so I wrote an
ant target for it.

When I was able to get zero session persistence errors during a
redeploy, it seems like I could keep doing it for a while. But as I also
recall some errors seemed to come and go without me (seemingly) doing
anything different.

This drove me to switch to Tomcat standalone for a while for development
(for Servlet apps anyway). Redeploy in 5.0.30 seems to me to be stable,
and, once you have it set up right (ant), is just as easy as with JBoss.
But I like JBoss for some things, so I hope I figure out what I'm doing
wrong (I still suspect it's something I was doing, but, what can I say,
it doesn't happen in Tomcat 5.0.30) or they improve their hot deploy
mechanism.

Erik