struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Barrows" <jbarr...@sssc.com>
Subject RE: New to Struts & seeking advice
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:55:34 GMT

I like Eclipse with the MyEclipse plug-ins for struts.  I also use the spring plugin, and
I forget which of the hibernate plugins as well.  Commonclipse is one of those plugins in
you thinks you'll never use until you install it, hten you wonder why it wasn't made part
of Eclipse.

>     *    Is AppFuse worth using as a basis for a real app? I tried
> working through the tutorial and got it going,
>           but it is based on Hibernate and I was told that
> Hibernate may
> not be mature enough for deployment?

I don't know who told you either of those, but both statement are wrong.  AppFuse can use
Hibernate, iBatis or JDBC.  Says so right on the box.  Hibernate is more then mature enough
for deploymnet.  Matt Raible uses both appfuse and Hibernate for his production projects.

>     *   Any other tools or techniques that you fervently recommend or
> recommend avoiding?

Appfuse is nice if you want something that is IDE agnostic.  Spring is massively cool for
wiring everything together.
Avoid Websphere on the AS400 (can't tell you about Websphere on any other platform).  Avoid
Java on the AS400 in general.