struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Douglas" <jd...@hotmail.com>
Subject Session Strategy
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:40:12 GMT
To all,

  I have a web application that sets a session attribute with userID and a
timeout in the config file that times out after 5 minutes in case the user
walks away.

I am trying to figure out the best strategy to deal with cases where the
user comes back after 5 minutes and clicks on a button anywhere in the app
that requires that attribute that just expitred to have a valid value.

Should I,

1> Put code like this in the JSP,

<c:if test="${sessionScope.userID eq 'null'}">
  forward to login page....
</c:if>

2> Or should I just put all the code in the class files, something like
this,

         Integer userID =
(Integer)request.getSession().getAttribute("userID");
         if (userID==null){
             return mapping.findForward("failure");
         }

Or