struts-user mailing list archives

From Jim Barrows <jim.barr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Struts & Security
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:58:10 GMT
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:54:48 +0900, Sylvain ~ <syl20j@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working on a simple application which requires very simple
> security as given there is only 3 kind of users : anonymous, users and
> admin.
>
> For portability issues, I don't want to use Tomcat's security system.

Tomcat doesn't have a tomcat specific security mechanism.  They use
the one specified by  the JSP/Servlet spec.

> I think using JAAS or securityFilter for a such simple application
> would create more problems than it would solve, so I firstly decided
> to implement a security feature with a jsp tag that I'll include in my
> webpages.

Not really, as you found out putting pages together is a bit tricky.
Security filter is much easier, and using the JSP/Servlet security
even easier.
JAAS is usually wrapped by a Security Filter, and Tomcat has a JAAS
plugin to implement the standard security.