struts-user mailing list archives

From Erik Weber <erikwe...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: Struts and EJB integration question?
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:03:21 GMT
I think it depends on your service locator design and API. The goals are
ease of maintenance, reusability/decoupling and performance. Is the
extra layer going to facilitate reuse of your service locator/EJBs? If
so then it's probably worth it because it probably won't cost much in
terms of maintenance and performance (depends on your infrastructure of
course). Might you have other services that don't require the service
locator API or a different service locator API? If that's the case,
again, you'd probably want to have Struts talk to a "manager layer"
component (or as Robert Taylor suggests -- an app-specific delegate
right in front of the manager layer component), and let this component
find and use services directly, etc. This shields Struts from disparate
APIs.

Erik