struts-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Robert Taylor <64rwtaylo...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: MVC Frameworks
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:34:22 GMT
Nicolas,

Can you provide any metrics for the benchmarks when comparing Spring to 
AspectWorks? What exactly does "not good for Spring" mean?

/robert

Nicolas De Loof wrote:
> 
> I get such a case recently : we are using Spring as IoC container. On 
> some situation we use a simple AOP interceptor.
> 
> Our customer have found on the net a benchmark comparing Spring vs 
> AspectJ vs AspectWerkz. The bench result was not good for Spring 
> (compared to AspectWerkz). The technical reason has no interest here, 
> but my customer has warned us on this and expected us to make load test 
> to confirm good application response-time (such load-tests had to be 
> done in any case...).
> 
> Here is an example why we may not use some framework or function, not 
> because it isn't the best, but just because customer doesn't agree (for 
> some reason that may not be technical).
> 
> For info, load-tests have demonstrated Spring was good enough for us...
> 
> Nico.
> 
> 
> Fogleson, Allen a écrit :
> 
>> I think the biggest argument was stated by Nicolas.
>>
>> I use struts because I like it sure, but I really use it because it is
>> the framework that the client will accept and pay for and my developers
>> know best.
>> We recently used (portions) of Spring on a project and had a heck of a
>> time getting the client to accept the app during user testing. Granted
>> there were a bunch of other issues with this particular client that went
>> against "best practices" but the major sticking point was Spring. (note
>> we didn't even use the MVC part of spring even, just the beanfactory
>> stuff)
>>
>> Struts has of course gained popular acceptance so clients really don't
>> think much about it when you say you are using it, vs something else.
>> Al
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Dakota Jack [mailto:dakota.jack@gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, March 
>> 08, 2005 10:17 AM
>> To: Justin Morgan
>> Cc: Struts Users Mailing List
>> Subject: Re: MVC Frameworks
>>
>> For my part, I still prefer Struts because I think it has a great
>> potential if it endorses some move to IoC and does not fall off the
>> strict web MVC pattern.  I have no time for the event-based frameworks
>> like Echo, Tapestry, JSF, Shale, etc.  Others need that sort of thing.
>> What framework you choose depends a lot on what you want to do, the
>> sophistication of your developers, etc.
>>
>> Jack
>>
>>
>> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:44:26 -0600, Justin Morgan <JMorgan@d2hawkeye.com>
>> wrote:
>>  
>>
>>> Thanks...
>>>
>>> I recently picked up Rod Johnson's J2EE Design and Development (ISBN:
>>> 0-7645-4385-7), and Chapter 12 is titled "Web-Tier MVC Design"...  I'm
>>> going to assume this chapter is pretty similar to the one you mention.
>>>
>>> I agree with you that this author is incredibly clear-minded, and I'm
>>> soaking it all in.  Most of the book is model-neutral, and focuses
>>>   
>>
>> more
>>  
>>
>>> on good practices and patterns, which is great because we have not
>>> decided on a model yet.  But in chapter 12 he only really discusses
>>> Struts, Maverick, and WebWork.  I was hoping for some commentary on
>>>   
>>
>> JSF
>>  
>>
>>> and Tapestry as well, especially regarding why one might choose one
>>>   
>>
>> over
>>  
>>
>>> the other.
>>>
>>> It all boils down to two questions:
>>> 1.  Why do you prefer Struts over any other web application framework?
>>> (Tapestry, JSF, Maverick, WebWork, etc)
>>> 2.  Why should _I_ prefer <insert framework here>?
>>>
>>> The second question is not meant to make anyone defensive; I'm just
>>> trying to get past
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> -Justin
>>>
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Dakota Jack [mailto:dakota.jack@gmail.com]
>>> Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 3:30 PM
>>> To: Struts Users Mailing List
>>> Subject: Re: MVC Frameworks
>>>
>>> Rod Johnson (author of Spring and one of the clearest thinkers I have
>>> ever read IMHO) has a good discussion of the options in J2EE
>>> Development without EJB in Chapter 13: Web Tier Design.
>>>
>>> Jack
>>>
>>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:19:47 -0600, Justin Morgan
>>>   
>>
>> <JMorgan@d2hawkeye.com>
>>  
>>
>>> wrote:
>>>   
>>>
>>>> Hi there,
>>>>
>>>> I am currently researching different web application frameworks...
>>>>     
>>>
>>> JSF,
>>>   
>>>
>>>> Struts, and Tapestry specifically.  We are planning to migrate a
>>>>     
>>
>> large
>>  
>>
>>>> existing web application to a rigorous model 2 standard using one or
>>>> more of these frameworks, and I am looking for more information on
>>>>     
>>
>> the
>>  
>>
>>>> differences between them.  My research thus far has turned up only a
>>>>     
>>>
>>> few
>>>   
>>>
>>>> sources, and many of them seem religiously biased toward one of
>>>>     
>>
>> them.
>>  
>>
>>>> If any of you have opinions, or better yet, articles contrasting
>>>>     
>>
>> these
>>  
>>
>>>> technologies, please let me know.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> -Justin
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>     
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  
>>
>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: user-unsubscribe@struts.apache.org
>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: user-help@struts.apache.org
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>     
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> "You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it float on its
>>> back."
>>> ~Dakota Jack~
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: user-unsubscribe@struts.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: user-help@struts.apache.org
>>>
>>>
>>>   
>>
>>
>>
>>  
>>
> 
> This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential 
> and is the property of the Capgemini Group. It is intended only for the 
> person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,  
> you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate,  
> distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive 
> this  message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete 
> all  copies of this message.
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: user-unsubscribe@struts.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: user-help@struts.apache.org
> 
> 
> 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: user-unsubscribe@struts.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: user-help@struts.apache.org


Mime
View raw message