struts-user mailing list archives

From Rick Reumann <strut...@reumann.net>
Subject Re: ActionForm problem
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 01:45:41 GMT
Leon Rosenberg wrote the following on 3/17/2005 5:37 PM:

> Actually I was saying the opposite :-) EL makes your page looking
> "uglier"...
> I mean, you can write
>  ${bean.boolProp?'Yes, I am an idiot':'No, not an idiot'}
> Or
> <% bean.boolProp?"Yes, I am an idiot":"No, not an idiot" %>
>
> I think the idea of tags was the elimination of scriptlets, and now you
> bring them back through the back door.

You can argue tertiary expressions are ugly.. I don't actually like them
myself, but, I have to admit that using the c:choose construct all the
time gets annoying so I do cheat a little and use the tertiary stuff.

> I prefer the tag.

agree 100% and I've created just such a tag that takes the index of the
forEach loop as an arg, plus a few additional optional args.

> and also for a web designer, and I think,
> one of our goals should be, not to write jsps by ourselfs, but enable a
> html-producer to create pages.

Blah blah:) Been hearing that for years. I'm still waiting to see a shop
that actually has this clean separation for complex apps (something more
than a simple shopping cart site). I totally agree to make the pages
clean (you won't find a scriplet on any of my pages now.. but big deal,
it's more of a stupid game for myself to do that versus and actual true
benefit). Bottom line is, if it's a relatively powerful business app,
there is going to have to be some display logic in the pages which
requires some knowledge of bean properties etc. And I'll certainly argue
that using some of the struts tags is WAY more difficult than using
JSTL. Try to explain to a web guy how all those struts options tags
work. I guarantee he'll understand the concept of a forEeach construct
in less time and can thus apply that to whatever he/she needs than
trying to figure out those options and select tags. Bottom line is,
unless it's a real simple app, your 'web guy' is going to have to know
something about beans and bean properties at the very least.

--
Rick