struts-user mailing list archives

From Rick Reumann <strut...@reumann.net>
Subject Re: Multiple ActionForms per ActionMapping
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:42:24 GMT
Frank W. Zammetti wrote the following on 3/17/2005 10:19 PM:

> I could be wrong here, so feel free to educate me if so... if I return a
> forward from an Action that is a typical forward that references a JSP,
> the request is essentially done being handled at that point, right? What
> I mean by that is that a not much else happens after that, just a
> typical RequestDispatcher being used to transfer control to that page.
> Looking at the 1.2.6 RequestProcessor verifies this is accurate (unless
> I'm wrong!)

No, you are correct and sorry for the confusion. I guess I was thinking
more along the lines that your entry point to "Page 2" will not always
be coming directly from the results of your Action that Page 1 submitted
to. (At least I doubt that would always be the case, since you guys are
aguing for extremely flexible approaches). That being said, you will
usually have a mapping set up that gets you to Page 2 and that of course
will use, at the very least, a simple forward action which is a controller.

Yes there is some over head if you have to forward to the setup of
another action (vs going right to the JSP), but to me that's a small
price to pay for having a clean consistent way of doing things - (All
entries to X page go through X DispatchAction or even X SetUpAction if
you hate the Dispatch).

--
Rick