struts-user mailing list archives

From Rick Reumann <strut...@reumann.net>
Subject Re: Validating Nested DynaValidator Forms
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:28:41 GMT
jelything wrote the following on 3/18/2005 1:40 PM:
> I have a DynaValidatorForm that holds many items, including an
> ArrayList of DynaValidatorForms.  Calling validate() on the main form
> works just fine, but how do I get the nested forms to validate?
>
> If I iterate through the ArrayList, and cast them back to a
> DynaValidatorForm and then simply call validate on them, I get:
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException at
> org.apache.struts.validator.DynaValidatorForm.validate(DynaValidatorForm.java:144)
>
> Any ideas?

Ok couple of things...

1) I would NOT nest forms. I think that's just asking for trouble. I
would simply use ONE form and have your collection a s property in that
form. (The of course your collection can hold objects which have
collections..etc etc). But just nest a collection of beans, or even one
bean with the collections inside.

2) I'm not sure how declarative validation works over nested objects
(using validation rules). I know when I have a lot of nested objects
(which I do quite often), I find it easiest to just create my own
validation (Recurse over the nested objects and perform the checks).

--
Rick